Living Well with Stress - Video Course
Everyone can feel stressed from time to time. It can result from difficulties at work, money worries, ill-health, and problems within the family or other challenging life events. This can cause us to worry and feel anxious, become less active or to experience unhelpful thoughts.
'Living Well with Stress' is a 5 session video course which aims to help you understand common difficulties with stress and learn clinically proven techniques to overcome your stress, based on Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT).
The course is completely online via videos, with new content released each week, making it a flexible option to fit with you. There's also a supporting booklet with exercises to work through, so you can apply the skills to your individual situation.
This course is conducted completely online and clinicians are unable to offer individual support. If you feel you need a more interactive course, please check out our other offerings or make a self-referral to the service for an assessment.
Who is it for?
- People struggling with the emotional impacts of stress.
- People also experiencing increased low mood and anxiety as a result of their stress.
- Those happy to access materials and support via an online format.
What's covered in each session?
- Session 1: Welcome to the Course
- How what we do and think affects how we feel.
- How stress affects the body.
- Skills around relaxation, goal setting, lifestyle changes and improving sleep.
- Session 2: Managing our Mood
- What low mood is and how it affects our behaviour.
- What actions you can take to improve motivation and boost mood.
- How to overcome common barriers to activity and exercise.
- Session 3: Managing Thoughts
- How stress can affect our thinking.
- How to identify unhelpful thinking styles and challenge unhelpful thoughts.
- How to manage unhelpful thoughts, using the STOPP Technique.
- Session 4: Managing Worry
- How to identify different types of worries and how to manage them effectively.
- The relationship between worry and tolerating uncertainty.
- Skills to refocus your attention using 'Worry Time' and 'Problem Solving' techniques.
- Session 5: Facing your Fears and Bringing it all Together
- How the role of avoidance and reassurance keeps anxiety going.
- Techniques to help you to face your fears and regain confidence.
- How to develop a future management plan and prepare for possible barriers to your progress.
What will I need to do?
- Make time to watch the videos, where & when you can focus on the content.
- Set yourself goals.
- Have a go at the exercises so you can see how the ideas relate to your specific situation.
- Practise the skills and techniques during the week.
- Complete a weekly questionnaire so we can monitor progress & evaluate our service. This is a national standard for our service and is essential in ensuring we can continue providing free psychological therapies on the NHS.
What will I get out of it?
- New information every week about different aspects of stress and what keeps it going.
- New ideas and techniques every week to help you better manage your stress.
- Time to reflect on & recognise your strengths & what already works well for you.
How can I access it?
- Select the 'Register' button.
- Complete the online registration form.
- We will send you an email with further information, asking you to confirm your place on the course.