Managing your Mood - Video Course
Low mood can have a major impact on our lives. It can result from difficulties at work, ill-health, problems within the family or other challenging life events. Low mood can also have a major impact on our lives and can cause us to feel low in motivation, become less active or to experience unhelpful and painful thoughts.
'Managing Your Mood' is a 3 session video course which aims to increase your understanding of: how low mood affects motivation; and how thoughts and behaviours affect mood. We will show you clinically proven techniques to deal with your worries, based on Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT).
The course is completely online via videos, with new content released each week, making it a flexible option to fit with you. There's also a supporting booklet with exercises to work through, so you can apply the skills to your individual situation.
This course is conducted completely online and clinicians are unable to offer individual support. If you feel you need a more interactive course, please check out our other offerings or make a self-referral to the service for an assessment.
Who is it for?
- People struggling with low mood, lack of energy and unhelpful thoughts (whether related to the social impact of COVID-19 or not).
- People feeling overwhelmed and that they have little or no pleasure in doing things.
- Those happy to access materials and support via an online format.
What is the focus of each session?
- Session 1: Understanding Low Mood
- Gain an understanding of what depression or low mood is, and how it may be affecting you.
- Recognise common triggers and symptoms of low mood.
- Explore how our thoughts, feelings, physical symptoms and behaviour can keep low mood going.
- Explore the role beneficial activity can play in reducing the symptoms of low mood.
- Session 2: Activity Planning and Lifestyle
- Learn about the impact of exercise and diet on our mood.
- Learn about 'Activity Planning' and its benefits for improving mood.
- Understand common obstacles to activity planning and how to overcome them.
- Session 3: Challenging your Thinking and Planning for the Future
- Understand the role of unhelpful thoughts in activity planning.
- Reflect on your common unhelpful thinking styles.
- Challenge unhelpful thoughts to maintain motivation and activity.
- Plan how you are going to continue using the techniques learned.
- Work out your warning signs and how to prevent relapses.
What will I need to do?
- Make time to watch the videos, where & when you can focus on the content.
- Set yourself goals.
- Have a go at the exercises so you can see how the ideas relate to your specific situation.
- Practise the skills and techniques during the week.
- Complete a weekly questionnaire so we can monitor progress & evaluate our service. This is a national standard for our service and is essential in ensuring we can continue providing free psychological therapies on the NHS.
What will I get out of it?
- A deeper understanding of low mood and what keeps it going.
- An opportunity to develop your tool box of techniques to better manage low mood.
How can I access it?
- Select the 'Register' button.
- Complete the online registration form.
- We will send you an email with further information, asking you to confirm your place on the course.